This morning I was going to make some banana muffins, but I quickly realized one banana would not do. I decided to make strawberry banana muffins. I am out of baking powder and cream of tartar
- 1 1/4 cups brown rice flour
1/21/4 cups tapiocastarch of your choice
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/3 cups sugar
- 1 Tbs ground golden flax
- 3/4 cups milk (I used sweetened almond, because that's what we have)
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 mashed banana, plus about 6 chopped strawberries to make 3/4 cup (pack in the strawberries), or just the berries
- 1 Meyer lemon, juiced
- 1 tsp finely chopped or shredded peel from said lemon
- Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees.
- Grease your muffin tin or line it with papers.
- Mix your dry
- Mix your wet
- Mix them together
- Spoon batter into prepared cups
- Place in oven and immediately turn the oven down to 400
- Bake for about 18 minutes
The down and dirty:
These are headed for the bin, I think. They tasted nice, but the littles picked the strawberries out and turned their noses up at the banana flavor. To top it off, I'm feeling queasy, so in addition to no bean flours or xanthan gum, I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to toss all the tapioca starch. I'm thinking the tapioca starch contributed to DHs stomach distress last week. Oy vey.
The texture of these as I ate one was a little cloying. If I made them again, I would reduce the starch to 1/4 cup (and use potato starch, which I don't have at the moment). But, the lemon juice acted nicely with the soda and they puffed up quite well. It's definitely a workable recipe. Honestly, my next family will not be sensitive to gluten. ;)