- 1 cup brown rice flour*
- 1/3 cup bean flour*
- 1/4 cup tapioca starch*
- 1 1/4 cups oats
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg or mace
- 2 Tbs buttermilk powder**
- 1/2 cup sugar***
- 1/4 cup cold unsalted butter (or fat of your choice)
- 1 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 Tbs molasses***
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 Tbs ground flax, or flax meal****
- 1/4 cup water**
- 1/2 cup dried raisins, chopped apple, or shredded and drained zucchini (optional)
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees or 375 for a dark or non-stick pan. Grease or oil your tins, or line with wrappers.
- In a medium mixing bowl, mix together the flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, spices, buttermilk powder, and sugar.
- Cut in the cold butter with a pastry blender or fork. Alternatively, you can melt the butter and mix it into the wet ingredients.
- Stir in the oats.
- In a small mixing bowl, mix together applesauce, molasses, water, and vanilla.
- Add wet ingredients to the dry and stir until moistened
- If you are adding fruit, fold in gently.
- Spoon into prepared cups.
- Bake for 16-18 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out dry.
**You can just add 1/2 cup buttermilk or sour milk to the wet ingredients instead
***You can use firmly packed, dark brown sugar instead
****If you don't have ground flax, you can simply add an egg, with water added to yield 1/4 total cups.